Porukara College of Education offers various B.Ed Courses under Self Financing Stream in the following six subjects:
4. Natural Science
5. Physical Science and
6. Social Science
All the courses are recogonized by National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE) and is affilliated to Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam.
E.1. Candidates should have passed BA / B.Sc degree exams under the 10+2+3 pattern with one main subject and two subsidiary subjects from M G University or any other university recognized by M G University as equivalent thereto for admission, subject to the stipulation regarding marks.
However the eligibility of candidates who have passed degree examination in double/triple main, Model II vocational and other specialized subjects/streams will be governed by rules and regulations of this university.
In the case of candidates who have passed examinations of other Universities, they will be admitted only if these examinations have been declared equivalent to the qualifying examinations of this University.
The minimum requirement for admission to B.Ed course is 50% marks /CGPA-2 in Bachelor’s degree (Science/Arts subjects) in Part III).
Candidates seeking admission on the basis of the language under Part I & II need 50% marks for the part concerned and 50% for Post Graduate course in the same language. Candidates applying for the course under the language stream with a bachelor’s degree in the subject concerned will be ranked first in that particular stream. Candidates applying for the course under any language stream based on Part I / Part II at under graduate level and having PG Degree in the same subject as in Part I / Part II will be ranked only after that.
Graduates in any subject for which optionals are not offered B.Ed course are eligible for admission to the subsidiary subjects taken at degree course if that subject is offered as an optional for B.Ed course, subject to the rules of admission. But such candidates will be considered only after the ranking of candidates with the concerned main subject.
Choice of optional subjects
The optional subject for the B.Ed course should be the same as the one, which the student has selected as main subject for graduation, or the main subject for graduation conventionally recognized to be coming under the option chosen. In case, the main subject is different from or conventionally considered as not coming under the optional opted for admission, a copy of the Certificate from any of the Universities in Kerala, stating that such degree is eligible for admission to that optional for B.Ed course, should be furnished along with the application.
The minimum requirement of marks for B.Ed course is 50%/CGPA-2. (No rounding off of the percentage of marks to the nearest whole number is permitted) in Bachelor’s Degree (Science/Arts subjects) or M.Com
Eligibility for different Optional subjects: Candidates seeking admission to the B.Ed course in a subject/stream will have to satisfy the academic eligibility applicable to the subject/stream.
1. English: B A Degree with English language and Literature/Functional English/B.A Communicative English with 50% marks/CGPA-2 in Part III or B.A/B.Sc with 50% of marks for Part I English and not less than 50% marks for Master’s Degree in English Language and Literature.
2. Mathematics: B.Sc Degree with Mathematics/Statistics/Applied Statistics as main, with 50% marks/ CGPA-2 in Part III. Candidates with Statistics/Applied Statistics should have studied Mathematics as one of the subjects.
3. Physical sciences: B.Sc Degree with Physics/Chemistry/ Polymer Chemistry/B.Sc Geology/B.Sc Petrochemicals/ B.Sc Biochemistry/B.Sc Industrial Chemistry/ B.Sc Physics Model III – Electronics Equipment Maintenance main with 50% marks/ CGPA-2 in Part III
4. Natural sciences: B.Sc Degree with Botany/Zoology/Biochemistry/B.Sc Plant Science/Family & Community Science (with Zoology or Botany as subsidiary) / Aquaculture (with Biochemistry and Zoology as subsidiaries)/ Biotechnology/ Microbiology/Industrial Fish & Fisheries with 50% marks/ CGPA-2 in Part III
5. Social science: BA Degree with History/Arabic and Islamic History main with 50% marks/ CGPA-2 in Part III or BA Degree with Geography/Politics/Economics/Sociology/ Psychology/Philosophy/West Asian Studies under Part III/ B.A degree in Museology and Archaeology and with 50% marks/ CGPA-2 in Part III.
6. Commerce: Candidates who have secured M.Com Degree with not less than 50% marks alone are eligible for admission to the B.Ed course in Commerce. Such candidates are not eligible for admission to any other B.Ed course
SC/ST candidates need only a pass. SEBC candidates will get a concession of 5% marks .OEC candidates will be given 5% concession in marks. Blind Candidates will be given 5% concession in marks. Candidates who are moderately Physically Handicapped are also eligible to apply. Candidates should be physically fit and mentally sound. Deaf/Dumb candidates are not eligible. However, blind candidates will be eligible for admission to course other than Science optionals. Selection will be based on merit and shall be guided by the rules of the University. SEBC candidates shall submit the income certificate to prove their eligibility for mark relaxation.
E.3. Weightage of Marks
i. Candidates with teaching experience in approved schools/colleges in Kerala are eligible for a weightage of 0.1 marks for every month of approved service subject to a maximum of 5 marks, ignoring fraction thereof. Such candidates shall produce relevant certificate counter signed by DD/DEO/AEO respectively.
ii. Candidates who have a Post Graduate Degree in a concerned subject are eligible for weightage of marks as follows: M.A / M.Sc – I class: 5% marks, M.A / M.Sc – II class: 3% marks, M.A / M.Sc – III class: 2% marks. Weightage of 1% marks shall be given to the candidates who have represented the University / State / Nation in Sports and Games. Rounding of marks of 0.5 and above to the highest figure shall not be done while calculating the percentage of marks for minimum eligibility.
iii. Certain percentage of marks shall be given to the local candidates as locality weightage on production of proper locality certificate from the competent authority. The percentage of marks and the revenue area shall be decided by the University, and it vests all the rights in implementing and withdrawing the conditions regarding the local weightage.
iv. A weightage of 2% marks will be given for purpose of ranking candidates who belong to the revenue district in which the college is situated. In case, there is no college in the particular Revenue District under the jurisdiction of the University, the candidates will be eligible for such concessions in the University College of Teacher Education of the adjoining district. The candidates claiming weightage under clause (iii) are not eligible for concession under this category.
v. Five (5) marks will be given to the NCC/NSS certificate holders on production of relevant certificates issued from the College / University authorities during the Degree course.
vi. Dependents of Ex-Servicemen / Service personnel / BSF (son/daughter/wife/husband) are eligible to get concessions as per Government rules.
vii. 5% Seats will be allocated to regular teachers of Government / Aided Schools / Higher Secondary Schools as per the eligibility prescribed by Govt.of Kerala and NCTE.
viii. 5 seats in each centre are reserved for NRI.
ix. Certain percentage of seats are reserved for candidates of Model II Degree Courses as per rules.